Day 345

I took a couple of hours away from the hospital last night to help my daughter-in-law do final prep for the storm. It’s hard to do when you are alone with a two-year-old.

Driving back to the hospital, the skies were ominous and early evidence of wind rustled through the trees. If you have ever been in a hurricane, you never forget all the signs. You can feel it. The clouds move through the sky at such a rapid pace. The moisture hangs in the air. There is a strange sense of calm.

My daughter is scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. It is a blessing she was able to get on the schedule tomorrow. We are hopeful tomorrow is the beginning of her healing journey. I can never thank you enough for keeping us in your prayers.

The storm has pushed off the coast. The hospital will not be entering their hurricane protocol. We will have rain and some wind and maybe even a power outage or two, but compared to what we were facing this time last week, we are SO THANKFUL.


On High Alert

Day 343

My daughter had a rough night. We have been in touch with her doctor and are following his direction. We take it one hour at a time.

The storm is wobbling. It is massive. I am hoping it stays out at sea as the current tracks show. Even so, we will feel the effects. We are in the cone so anything could change at any moment.

So, for everything we are on high alert. Watching and waiting.


Holding Steady

Day 341

Thank you to everyone who has left such warm and supportive messages. You will never know how much they all mean.

It was an early morning. We got up at 6:30 am to be at the grocery store when it opened. We were able to get water and managed to pick up the last of the supplies we needed. We even managed to find a gas station that still had gas, so we filled up the car.

My daughter had a rough day but was feeling some better this evening. Surgery is on the horizon but cannot be scheduled until later this month. I am here until after the storm and until she is back on her feet.

The projected track of the storm is shifting. Everyone is on high alert waiting to see where it will ultimately go. It is an anxiety-ridden exercise in futility. We are waiting and watching which is all you can do.

The only good scenario for anyone would be if it pushed out to sea.


The Chaos Before the Storm

Day 340

In the early morning hours Wednesday, my daughter was taken to the ER. It was serious. I made plane reservations and two hours later I was on a plane to Florida.

She is improved and out of the hospital, but she is only improved, not well. A doctor’s visit will tell us what is next.

Today I will care for my granddaughter who is a little under the weather, too.

It is chaos here. There is a major hurricane headed this way. The grocery stores have no water. They will soon be void of all staples. There are lines at the gas stations. People react from memory and from fear. They hoard supplies.

I may be here a while. I have the best husband. I left him to care for our grandson by himself next week. We are strong apart, but better when we are together.

Hold a good thought for my daughter. And for us.