Today is Labor Day in the United States. I have worked in non-unionized factories (terrible) and unionized factories (better). I have worked for large and small corporations. Manufacturing was a place I felt needed strong unions because working conditions were often poor and manufacturers were often located in rather depressed areas where people needed to work regardless of conditions.
I remember when my parents both worked for the United States Postal Service during the wildcat strike of 1970. Striking against the federal government was illegal. At that time they achieved collective bargaining rights, but not the right to strike. The American Postal Workers Union was formed a year later.
Some unions perhaps had or have too much power. Regardless of where you stand on unions, let’s all support good working conditions for all people.
- L’shanah Tovah to all my Jewish friends. Sundown tonight marks the beginning of Rosh Hashanah.
- October 1st starts the beginning of InkTober® where artists are challenged to create one ink drawing per day based on a prompt list. The last few years, InkTober® has been embroiled in controversy surrounding the trademarked name and logo. The prompt list is out, but I am unsure if I can publish it here.
- November 1st marks the start date for NaNoWriMo – a challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. I managed to accomplish the word count last year. Now I just need to decide if I want to tackle it this year.
- The position of the sun is definitely changing. Our nights have been cooler, but it is still very warm during the daytime. Fall is coming.
- I am looking forward to cooler weather and turning over the garden in preparation for fall planting. Cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, cilantro and dill!
- I was delighted to see a deer in our back yard yesterday. There is something inspiring about the elegance of a deer. They see and notice everything – every tiny movement.
- This weekend was the annual apple festival in a nearby town. We still do not feel comfortable in crowds where people may be unmasked. Our positivity rate in our county is near 20%. I do plan to go to one of the orchards mid-week to get some apples.
That’s it for now. If today is a holiday for you, enjoy and try to remember the reason why.
In honor of Labor Day, here’s a clip from the movie “Norma Rae” starring Sally Field.